The first Crescendo Summer Institute South Africa (CSISA) will take place from Sunday March 27 to Monday April 4, at Somerset College in Somerset West.
Music teachers, professional musicians, advanced students, and pupils can look forward to:
* receiving individual lessons in Lied, Oratorio and Opera (which includes acting and movement), flute, violin, viola,cello, conducting, and jazz.
* participating in the performance education course where the emphasis is on supporting music teachers. Daily interactive sessions on topics such as The Health of the Musician, Music in the Schools (with practical fun filled activities), The All-round Musician, Music Therapy, Overcoming Performance Nerves and Child Psychology will provide renewed insight in music education.
* learning to improvise, a course offered to classical musicians by Lindsay Fillingham.
* joining jazz musicians, Andy Vance and Elinor Speirs, in developing Jazz improvisation, theory, harmony, and ensemble playing. This course is open to all jazz singers and jazz instrumentalists.
* The CVs of the professional teachers from Germany, Switzerland, Poland, USA, Australia and South Africa can be viewed at www.crescendosouthafrica.org. Concerts details are:
* Monday March 28, at 7.30pm, St Matthew’s Chapel at Somerset College: A first concert by the international teaching staff. Entry is R80 (reduced R50).
* Wednesday March 30 at 8pm, at St Matthew’s Chapel at Somerset College: jazz candlelight worship Service. Entry is R80 (reduced R50).
* Friday April 1, at 8pm, at Somerset-Wes NGK: creative Church with lots of music. Entry is free.
* Saturday April 2, at 7.30pm at St Matthew’s Chapel, at Somerset College: A second concert by the international teaching staff. Entry is R80 (reduced R50).
* Sunday April 3, at 8pm, at St Matthew’s Chapel at Somerset College: festival concert. Entry is R80 (reduced R50).
The CSISA invites professional musicians, teachers, students and scholars, with a minimum standard of Grade 7, to apply.
Detailed information, the application form, course description, contact and banking details, is available at their website, at www.crescendosouthafrica.org
The closing date is Sunday March 20.
Linked to the international Crescendo movement, with its highly acclaimed annual Summer Institute in Hungary during July/August (www.crescendohungary.org), the Crescendo Summer Institute South Africa will become an annual event in the March/ April holidays.