Boschendal, near Paarl and Franschhoek, is hosting a Farm to Table Festival, where visitors can celebrate natural produce and artisan food, share in the passion of natural food farmers, winemakers and farm-to table-chefs, and sample local, seasonal, ethically-sourced ingredients – on Saturday April 23 and Sunday April 24.
Foodies can participate in an informative, inspirational and entertaining weekend with like-minded ethical and health conscious gourmets and wine lovers, fans of artisan produce and urban farmers.
Workshops include compost creation and sausage-making, talks and demos comprise urban food growing, biological agriculture and many more.
Visitors can take part in guided tastings of premium Boschendal wines and Méthode Cap Classique, coffee and craft beer, and are invited to explore the farm on informative tours.
These include food garden tours and expeditions to visit the farmers and learn about biological farming with pasture-raised beef and chicken.
On Saturday, the open-air farm feast dinner starts from 4pm. A separate children’s table will be set up adjacent to the shared long table.
In the event of rain, the feast will be moved into the new Boschendal event barn.
On Sunday, enjoy a farm barbeque picnic, live music and fun family activities on the lawns.
Activities include a farm adventure including an informative food garden, cow and chicken tour and making own pizzas using ingredients collected on the tour.
Parents can join a workshop or talk while all five to 12-year old children enjoy tractor rides, pony rides, straw castles and water slides under supervision of farm hosts.
Activities include pony rides, farm games, a puppet show, face painting, tractor rides, and slack lining.
Book your picnic hamper in advance, then choose your spot, relax and enjoy the natural farm surroundings.
Pre-purchase of tickets for both events is essential. Visit https:// plankton.mobi/Home/ Index
* Fritz Schoon (De Oude Bank Bakkerij) on bread baking
* Frik Oosthuizen (Santa Anna) on good barbeque cooking
* Neil Jewell (Moreson) on charcuterie
* Karen Parkin – composting workshop
* Christiaan Campbell (Boschendal) on fermented foods
* Mark Muncer (Boschendal) on sausage making
* Children – food garden and egg tour and pizza making
* Jean Kuiper on Biological Agriculture using biopesticides
* Megan McCarthy (Boschendal Food Garden) on urban food growing
* Nico Uys (Probio) on bacteria in agriculture and soil health
* Karen Parkin – Seed security. How to ensure you stay sustainable by saving seeds. Tricks and tips on harvesting seeds.
* Wayne Rademeyer (Buffalo Ridge) on mozzarella making
* James Moffat (grain farmer) on heirloom wheat
* Food Garden – Megan
* Chicken and eggs – Farmer Rico
* Cattle – Mark Muncer
* Agri-Landscaping – Jan Blok
* Vineyard and winery Tour.