The City of Cape Town has announced its decision to withdraw permits for previously approved events.
This decision follows the national disaster declaration by President Cyril Ramaphosa on Sunday March 15 in response to the growing cases of coronavirus (Covid-19) in the country.
The City’s Events Permit Office will also not be accepting or processing any event permit applications until the national disaster is lifted.
Mayoral committee member for safety and security, JP Smith, said: “We understand that the postponement of events will have financial implications for the event organisers and that it will have economic impact for the City.”
Mr Smith added that they will be engaging with the affected organisers to assist with the postponed events as best as possible.
“At this stage, we take the threat of Covid-19 seriously and we have to prioritise the health and safety of participants, spectators as well as officials working in the events space, he said.”
Since last week, several major events which were set to take place in the city this month and in April have either been cancelled or postponed to later dates.