Gandhi said: “It is health that is real wealth, and not pieces of gold and silver.”
The objective behind the Expand event, which will be held at The Shed near Stellenbosch on Saturday August 13, is to bring like-minded people together to form a community, and to enlighten people about finding balance, creating union and connecting yourself to the greater whole and living in peace and harmony with nature.
The theme of the day is Ahimsa – which means kindness, friendliness, and thoughtful consideration towards other people, nature and even ourself.
The event is facilitated by Boland yoga instructors and speakers. The facilitators are:
* The Laughter Doctor, Martin Combrinck – who uses laughter as the tool to teach people that joyfulness and wellness is a conscious choice for each and every individual.
* Candice Jones, a therapist who has explored Eastern spirituality (in particular the knowledge of energy chakras in the Indian yogic tradition), fell in love with yoga, particularly for its effect of wellbeing on the whole organism. She will be facilitating the meditation and partner yoga.
* Tanya Olivier has been practicing yoga since 2006, and is passionate about sharing the ancient art and science of yoga with people of all ages. She teaches Hatha yoga with a vinyasa style (intelligently placed steps), as well as children’s yoga. This style uses the synchronisation of breath, movement and mind.
What is taught is always relevant to the time, place, season, weather conditions, the age and experience of the students. Tanya will be offering a “Love yourself vinyasa” at the event.
* Ryan Edmonds was trained as an Ishta yoga teacher by Marina Contardo in 2010, and has also studied Kundalini yoga (as taught by Yogi Bhajan). Ryan currently runs a full time practice as a life coach, and hypnotherapist, and works on TV and radio to educate South Africans about mental health. He will offer the closing Kundalini practice and meditation.
* Soleil Terblanche will be offering aerial yoga, having en-countered it in a Northern California forest years ago, which then became a lifestyle.
* Selah Dancer will offer Acro-Yoga fun time, and Janine Hayward will facilitate an EFT workshop (Emotional Freedom Technique) in the morning. Janine helps people clear internal emotional pollution so that it can stop reflecting in the natural world.
* Lizet Mulder is a green-thumbed yogi that curiously delves into the glory of our every-day experience offers. Join her to experience deeply the simple joys of getting to know your senses through tasting and beyond. She will offer an introductory workshop on mindful senses.
There will also be a sustainability, living food and Ayurveda talk. Art and movies will also be displayed, and there will be a health food stall and merchandise for sale (cash only).
Entry is R80 for adults and R50 for students, and 10 percent of profits is going to the Sisonke Social Circus. Take comfortable clothing, a yoga mat (yoga mat hire is R20), and water bottle. A light Lunch will be available at R30.
Contact Annie van der Merwe, at 076 549 0818 or Anneliesebartonik@ yahoo.com, for more information.